From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:44:47 -0600
Clomid would most definitely decrease milk supply in someone who took it
while lactating.  Just normal ovulation, without hyperstimulation, can do
that.  But I don't see how it could possibly cause decrease in milk supply
in a mother who has delivered a baby concieved on clomid!

I don't know if this mom delivered her one baby early enough to affect
lactation, or what.  However, I would assure her that she will be able to
breastfeed, one way or another.  I would think that, with a healthy baby who
is able to suck well, she will do just fine, but perhaps it would set her
mind at ease to know that there are ways to deal with low supply, that
partial breast milk feeding is still beneficial, and that the nurturing
relationship can be obtained, regardless of whether supplementation is
needed.  Of course, pointing out that adoptive moms can breastfeed might
encourage her, too.  After what she has all ready been through trying to
have a baby, she just may get to the point of considering adoption, if she
does not success in giving birth to a healthy baby anytime soon.  Knowing
that breastfeeding would be a possibility might help her see adoption as a
better option, too, and take away at least a little of the pressure she
feels about the prospects of continuing to try the clomid.

Maybe she would like to go to the Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website,
where she could talk with women who have dealt with infertility and milk
supply issues, from lots of different angles.  WWW.fourfriends.com/abrw

Darillyn