From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2012 08:39:05 -0500
Nikki,  I understand your point in that adding something to something is
going to increase the diameter, but I believe the point Laura made is truly
the point on how a shield might help a baby who can't tolerate a large
nipple.

"My thought is this.  Nipples increase in length in baby's mouth when baby
suckles.  If the nipple is already long or wide, it may be all baby can
take.  The lengthening of the nipple in baby's mouth as he suckles may cause
baby to gag.  The nipple shield would keep the nipple from lengthening.

Laura Spitzfaden"

Obviously, if you have a 5# baby and a mom with a "lightbulb" nipple which
is then squeezed into a 30 mm nipple shield - it may still be too big for
the baby.  But, for the bigger baby who the already large nipple then
travels to the back of his throat with each suck gagging him, the shield
will restrict that movement and the baby may then be able to manage things.

I have to point out a problem we have here!  For those who have tried to
search things and follow topics using the lactnet archives . it would be so
helpful if people would "copy and paste" the topic into the subject line
instead of changing it over and over.  See below how our subject "lightbulb
nipples" has morphed!  I copy and pasted the most recent subject line, but
was a bit confused as to which to use!  Just a friendly reminder to us all.
:-)

shields for large nipples

shields for extremely large nipples

Shields and larger nipples

Explain how nipple shields may help with large nipples

large nipples and bottles

Nipple shield and large nipples

lightbulb nipples

light bulb nipples