From:
Gail Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:11:11 -0400
Jennifer,
This is a private response that I'm also going to mail to the list in case
others could benefit from it.

I'm going to give you a more complicated answer from a pediatrician's
perspective. What you're feeling sounds normal, what your daughter is doing
may not be. The change in breastfeeding behavior could just be a reaction to
growing up and wanting to hold onto baby things and possibly a reaction to
your [normal] pulling away when things get too public.
The fact that it occurred at the same time as the new hand washing behavior
is sort of concerning. Some kids are particular about staying clean, but
washing until they're chapped and red is another.

Part of whether this is a serious problem or not will depend on the answers
to the following questions:

Do these behaviors persist? Are they going away, or do they seem to be
getting worse? Are any new unusual behaviors occurring? Are they occurring
at one particular time of day? After any medication?

Have there been any new stresses in the last few months? marital issues,
death of a grandparent or pet, move to a new home, new baby sitter, etc?

Are there any physical reasons for the hand washing?  Scabies? Flea bites?
Change in soap (allergy)?

Is there a family history of mental illness? Especially OCD [obsessive
compulsive disorder] or psychosis?

Is there any possibility of sexual abuse?

The reasons I ask these questions is that sometimes kids do weird things.
For example four year olds often have a problem with stuttering - it comes
with the age and disappears on its own it is short lived. This is also a big
age for nightmares and night terrors.  The line between fantasy and reality
is blurry. Kids are egocentric and think that when something bad happens
that they caused it.

The handwashing could be a reaction to a physical feeling - a skin
irritation for example. If it is connected to OCD it doesn't necessarily
need to be repetitive. OCD behaviors tend to be relied on in moments of
stress and not make sense in context. The act of doing the behavior is what
relieves the stress, not so much the result of the behavior.  Unfortunately,
mental illness tends to run in families.

I would answer the questions and decide based on that how concerned to be. I
tend to trust my parents' judgement. If something "doesn't feel right" to
them it usually bears at least looking into.  As someone suggested, I would
go over "appropriate touching" both what is expected of her and of others.
If you don't wand to mention the extended breastfeeding to your doctor, you
could at least have her hands checked for scabies or allergic reaction.

Please feel free to email me privately.
Gail
Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC