Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:04:12 +0100
>"Soy formula may provide other health benefits that breastfeeding does not."

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH?c=234925&t=8015&p=~br,IHC|~st,333|~r,EMIHC0
00|~b,*|

>Ruth Scuderi
>Westfield, MA

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Ruth - I'm posting again so more
listers may see it and take a further recommendation to go to this page.
It's an eye-opener.

The science of this debate is absolutely shockingly inadequate. Soy formula
can't be the cause of developmental delay because in the last 30 years
there has been no increase in the number of children with learning
disabilities? And that proves it's okay? Give me a break.....

The fears that soy formula might have harmful hormonal effects are
mentioned, but not dealt with.

Soy formula protects aganst cancer, and this is a health benefit not
present in breast milk, because the soy in Asian diets is thought to be
protective against cancer - so lets give our newborns soy? This is such a
non-sequitur....words fail me.

There are other horrors in this piece, and as Ruth says, the conference was
indeed sponsored by Nestle.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK