Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:24:11 +0000
>Has anyone else seen a correlation between mitten use and poor nursing?

No....but I have seen mothers with bf difficulties whose babies wore
mittens. I think the link is not direct, but the mitten wearing may be a
marker for something else.

Why do babies wear mittens indoors? Here, they wear them because the
parents worry about the baby scratching himself - in fact the indoor
mittens we buy here are called 'scatch mitts' - no idea if you have them
anywhere else.  I have observed there is sometimes a lot of anxiety around
this, and a lot of anxiety on the fact that the mittens keep coming off.
These parents are anxious parents. Most parents don't worry about the baby
occasionally scratching, or risking a scratch or two.  It may be that
anxious parents are more likely to use scratch mitts, and more likely to be
worried about whether the baby is getting enough, is geeting 'spoiled', is
on the breast too often, or too long.....all that sort of stuff.  And all
that sort of stuff is not conducive to happy bf!

Just a guess : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK