Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:21:40 EDT
Jean asked about the term "intussusepted nipples":

Some years ago, when preparing for a LLL conference presentation on "Nipple
Variations", I found that The Lactation Institute had available the 1994
thesis by Yaffa Stark "Human Nipples: Function and Anatomical Variations in
Relationship To Breastfeeding", and also a set of slides that included nipple
variations such as  Thorpes folding, dimpled, and intussuscepted, ....which
may be termed invaginated in some liturature. The slides are useful and
interesting for many types of staff inservices/ed, and other presentations,
as a lively visual aid, ...ie, I used them as part of a presentation for the
local AWHONN group on the role of the LC.

It would be interesting if we could take the time to photograph all the
variations of nipples that we see at work.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway