From:
Lynne Norder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:51:13 +0000
I am pursuing LC education in hopes of someday being able to sit for the exam, so forgive me if there is a commonly known resource I'm not aware of.  I'm in CO and received a call from a friend in IL who knows my career aspirations.  She is due next month and wanting to breastfeed.  She will be a single mom and has signed up for WIC (Cook Cty, I think) and completed their BF class.  When she inquired about getting a pump, as she will have to work, she was told that they "stopped giving out pumps about 6 months ago because they ran out of money".  Aside from my outrage at the fact that this seems so discriminatory towards women who WANT to breastfeed and my astonishment that they hand out bucketsful of formula to anyone who walks through the door (I know, preaching to the choir), I'm really frustrated for her that we can't seem to find any affordable pumps for her!  Any LC's here from IL that can help provide me with resources for her to look into?
Thanks for any advice!
Lynne