From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:51:25 -0800
Diane,
I don't have an answer to this mystery. What I can tell you, however, is
that I've heard of behavioral changes induced by carbohydrates among PCOS
women. I've lurked off and on a support list for a couple of years now, and
one of the discussions that fascinates me the most is the role that
carbohydrates seem to play in the syndrome. Some are even now calling PCOS a
"dysfunction of carbohydrate metabolism." PCOS-affected women often have
trouble losing weight with most conventional methods, including caloric
restriction, and seem to respond best to lo/no-carb diets. When the women
have been off of carbs for a while and then reintroduce them, they have
described some very strong symptoms that include physical and emotional
changes. It's almost like a carb-induced PMS for some of them, and they
notice the difference immediately.

At the very least, your client evidently also has problems with metabolizing
carbohydrates. Aside from PCOS, I am not familiar with other conditions that
may be related to this problem, but that is the question to ask.

~Lisa Marasco