From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:28:11 -0800
We do not have figures for incidence of nipple / breast thrush, so it is very
difficult to work out if it is increasing. Like anything else, it can come in
"runs".
In my study where I was trying to grow candida (Gynecol Obstet Invest
1996;41:30-34) I found an increased use of antibiotics in the intra- or
postpartum period in women with nipple pain (29 of 52 women) compared to women
without pain (23 of 65), p < .05. The most common reason for antibiotics was
mastitis (18 women); 6 had antibiotics for group B Strep. Unfortunately, I
didn't record the reason for antibotics in the control group (which seems
pretty stupid now).
It is very interesting that a 1991 publication on GBS (Regan et al, Obstet
Gynecol 77:604-610) found <isolation of GBS was strongly associated with
concurrent (vaginal) colonization with Candida>. They found candida negative
women had a 17.2% prevalence of GBS, while candida positive women had 35.8%
prevalence (OR 2.7).
However, I think we need more research before we can recommend giving
antifungals to all women on antibiotics (with or without GBS), but it would
make sense to inform these women about the possibility of thrush developing in
themselves or their baby.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC, Melbourne, Australia