From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:05:35 -0500
Jan Bargar said: "It really hit me -- how much mothers are missing out of
when they are so
focused on getting the child to sleep through the night that they can't
enjoy
that special time just before dawn....just sitting and rocking and
nursing...."

Boy, isn't that the truth! You know, those times are some of not only the
sweetest, strongest times, but (I'm embarrassed to admit) some of the ONLY
times I remember, especially with my twins. We're always in such a hurry to
get to the next stage, which we in our tiredness think will be easier, and
then before you know it you're done with the whole job, and you can just
hardly believe it. And, you know, it used to make me so furious when the
older, (wiser), grandmothers would tell me that - I was always so exhausted
and harried and struggling so hard that I thought that I would be spending
the absolute rest of my life with yogurt in my hair & crushed Cheerios
underfoot, poopy diapers piled to the ceiling and sticky toddlers clinging
to my legs. And now here I am in a state of hairtrigger weepiness because my
oldest is graduating from college and my girls from high school this spring,
and I'm pretty much wrapping up the biggest job in my life. (Good thing I've
got those step-kids coming along, and by the time we've got them launched
maybe I'll be grandmother material...)

Cathy B. Ithaca NY