Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:48:16 -0500
Tania writes, in  response to Ginger's post:

I hand  the parents the WHO guide to formula preparation at home. I also
explicitly  state that the concern is with the powdered formula not the water.
So many  parents think you need to boil the water to make the water safe,
not the  formula. I also explain that premade liquid formula is safer for
newborns than  powdered formula.

~~~
Ginger,
I also tell parents about the difference between powdered and liquid
preparations, and discuss WHO guidelines for safer preparation. I explain  there
are good handouts and articles about this.  I don't hand it out,  though. US
parents, as well as many US doctors, do not consider  WHO an authority but
instead lean on their own AAP guidelines,  sadly ( see this article filled
with misinformation on several points
_http://aapnews.aappublications.org/content/31/10/37.5.full_
(http://aapnews.aappublications.org/content/31/10/37.5.full) ) I  also explain that this is not information they may have gotten
from their  pediatrician, but I believe they should have it, since it is
currently the best  information we have. ( I've actually never heard a mom say
her MD informed her,  even with premature babies now home...)

Reading this from the AAP itself helps us understand why mothers think we
are being overly picky when it comes to safer formula feeding and too lax
with  expressed milk ( presumably because we all "hate formula and want to
make life  difficult for mothers who don't do what [we] think is right". I only
mention  this because I overheard it said more than once by mothers in
stores who had no  idea the woman in the bottle aisle near them was an IBCLC. I
make it a point to  offer /ideas alternatives that are safer when moms are
using formula, so they  can see this is not the reason, but instead it's
actually up-to-date science,  applied for their baby's best health outcomes.

Hope that helps.
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL