From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2017 06:28:09 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Laura asks about a mother whose baby has drastically slowed its weight gain
and wonders if progesterone birth control is a reason.

YES!!!

When I started as a nursing mother's counselor, last century, one of the
first questions we were told to ask when a mother called wondering about
her milk supply, was "have you started hormonal birth control?"

This happened to a colleague at work; she noticed a drop in the amount of
milk she could pump once she had Nexplanon implanted.

Please. . report this to the FDA.

One of the problems with the lousy research on hormonal birth control is
that there is no collection of data to balance out ACOG's insistence that
there is no impact on breastfeeding. Their new study, showing that putting
a hormonal IUD in 10 minutes after the placenta is expelled says (using a
word I've never before seen, i.e.  "noninferior") that there is no
difference to the impact of giving Depot at hospital discharge.  (That was
another poorly done study.)

Inserting an IUD ten minutes after a placenta is delivered was connected to
IUD expulsion "A total of 24 IUD expulsions occurred in the immediate group
compared to 2 in the  delayed group (19% versus 2%, p<0.001), consistent
with the known higher  expulsion rate with immediate postpartum vs. delayed
postpartum IUD insertion."

Please, report this to the FDA.

Here is the link: <https://uslca.org/contraception-low-milk>

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Reviews Editor,* Clinical Lactation*
www.nikkileehealth.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth
*Communications are confidential and meant only for whom they are
addressed.*