From:
Jennifer Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:18:42 -0400
Hi everyone,

Through my volunteer work I got a question from a mom that I was fairly certain how to answer but could not provide evidence to back it up.  I'm hoping someone here can point me to some evidence to support my response.

The mom has been dealing with thrush and is using APNO, baby is also being treated.  Someone told her that she should not apply EBM to her nipples to soothe them because the candida would thrive on the lactose in the breastmilk.  I explained the antifungal properties of lactoferrin, but she was still was not conviced.  She was having some relief from the EBM (applied in-between applications of APNO).

In the past, I have heard this belief (that the lactose in EBM would help the thrush thrive) called a myth, either on LACTNET or the health-e-learing forums (LP10 maybe?) but I cannot find any references to evidence either way.  Can anyone point me to some documentation on this subject?

Thanks!
Jennifer who is anxiously awaiting her 1st IBCLC exam results on October 29th!