From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 19:54:24 -0800
Maghda Sachs called our attention to a recent Lancet article
(http://www.thelancet.com/journal/vol358/iss9292/full/llan.358.9292.edit
orial_and_review.18298.1) in which it is stated that "Breastmilk does not
contain enough vitamin D to cover infant needs."

I have reviewed over 200 articles and books related to the issue of vitamin
D supplementation in the breastfed infant. I find the issue extraordinarily
complex, global and controversial as it involves the role of latitude, skin
pigmentation, clothing practices, lifestyle changes since the industrial
revolution, pollution, migration, maternal vitamin D status during
pregnancy, infant vitamin D status at birth, overall nutritional status and
health of the nursling, genetic variables, attitudes and practices
regarding sun exposure, cultural values, racism, poverty, etc. I am
currently writing an article on the topic. It is difficult and very time
consuming to address all of these factors in a few pages. I cannot imagine
summing up the entire topic with the one sentence that was stated in the
Lancet article. At this point, I can't even imagine writing an email
summary of it. But I will be sure to post a note when the article is
published.

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS Clinical Psychology
(Breastfeeding mother, advocate, independent [cross-cultural] researcher
and author; LLL Leader and Research Associate in the LLLI Publications
Department; and former psychotherapist currently busy nurturing her own
little one.)
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://members.home.net/ammawell