From:
Mrs BN Carney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:24:37 +0930
In this situation is it *really* necessary for the 10 month old to be
given formula?  I didn't think so since the baby was also on solids.  I
also thought it was a bit extreme to think that a pregnant woman can
pump milk for her 10 month old after he had weaned himself since it was
then most likely he did so becasue there was no milk there.  How would
you deal with this situation?

> ok,people, we are all PRO-breastfeeding, which is great, but this
> woman i know whose 10 month old has recently weaned himself due to
> her pregnancy, most likely, and who chose not pump, is not feeding
> her child formula.  i pointed out that it was really recommended that
> they receive breastmilk or iron fortified formula for a year.  she
> said, yeah, i just have this thing about formula. í don't want to
> be
> overly pushy, but we have a thing against formula as a group, do we
> not, because it is second rate?  why feed your child something third
> or fourth rate because you don't want to feed them second rate?  that
> makes no sense.  actually, it;s third rate- she could have pumped,
> but whatever, my point is still valid even if you bump it down a
> notch.
>
> should, i say anything else?  if so, what?  i already made it clear
> that i didn't think it was a good idea, but someone else there, said,
> oh, yeah, my sister did that, too, so i guess she is thinking, see
> it's fine.  augh!!!!  well, "It's FIne" is the same crappy excuse the
> formula feeders use!

Gitte
--
BN Carney  @>-->-