Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:34:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
It's all a marketing ploy.  And now that breastfeeding is known to be important up till 2, they are manufacturing and recommending formula for up to 2.  Ugh

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Maureen MINCHIN

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:20 AM

Subject: Re: early supplementation and other morning thoughts

> On 15 Nov 2015, at 12:13 pm, LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

> 

> When the whole formula made just for supplementing came out and the research backing it - my first thought was that is a perfect way to show moms exactly what a baby needs to eat.  

Ummm… exactly how is this formula any different from any other cows milk formula? When I wrote several pages about this topic in my book, I checked the lists of contents online and could see no significant difference at all between formula for supplementation and …..formula for filling babies and down-regulating mother’s milk supply. Hyper-allergenic formula, that is. Because if other formulas are developed and marketed as less-allergenic = hypo-allergenic, then these must be hyper-allergenic, mustn’t they? And how are they different? Do they affect the microbiome differently, identically to breastmilk? Same amino acid balance as breastmilk? (No formula to date that I know of achieves that, and when these are neuro-transmitters, there have to be consequences of deviation from the breastmilk blueprint. Same fats as in breastmilk in the ratios (no, formula hasn’t achieved that yet either). Same hundreds of microbes? Nope. Same hundreds of oligosaccharides? No. What evidence for these formulas for supplementation has been published in peer-reviewed journals? 

My first thought on seeing these was "what a smart marketing ploy, I bet some healthworkers and parents are taken in." Sorry to find proof of my cynical thoughts on Lactnet.

I agree that syringes of just 5ml are less bad (I can’t say better) than bottles of more, from a supply point of view.  From the microbiome/allergy point of view however, there is no proof that 5mL is better. It may depend on the mother’s or grandmother’s allergy history, or the child’s genome or microbiome, just how much damage is done by 5mL  And if industry was truly serious about formula for supplementation, it would be bottling women’s milk. Abbott has invested in Prolacta, not surprisingly, as in my view the next decade will see a successful class action by parents of premature babies damaged or killed by NEC thanks to infant formula exposure.

I have since checked the Similac website and published what I wrote as a free online blog, for those interested in knowing more about “formulas for supplementation."

Maureen Minchin

Still wondering why IBCLCs are not examined in detail on their knowledge and use of infant formulas.

www.infantfeedingmatters.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html <http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html>

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2