From:
Lynne Norder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:54:18 +0000
I don't have any specific info on the "Expecta" supplement but thought I would relay some recent personal experience.  I am 23 wks pregnant and on partial bedrest for preterm contraction issues.  In talking to a midwife she suggested I start taking fish oil supplements as there has been some recent research and anecdotal studies showing that low levels of omega 3 can be a causal factor in preterm labor (sorry I don't have links - I googled "fish oil and pregnancy" and "fish oil and preterm labor" and came up with some research by Michel Odent and a few others, there is also some info on the Dr. Mercola site).  When I had to visit the perinatologist a few days ago I mentioned to his nurse that I'd started taking this and had no more contractions.  She was immediatey excited and said she was aware of the research and that she was going to give me some samples because "M/J is doing a DHA supplement for this purpose - they've realized it's a hot topic with PTL and PPD and it's great for women who can't tolerate fish oil".  She couldn't give me any research specifc to the supplement nor could I locate any on the internet.  I'm hesitant to believe that a highly refined supplement such as this one (doesn't state WHERE the DHA comes from on the package insert, just that it is not from fish) would be as effective as the real thing (ie: a full spectrum Omega 3 source), and it seems the research M/J is using to support it's use for PTL (as well as breastfeeding and PPD) is from the research previously done on fish oil.  I may be wrong, but that is what I've been able to determine thus far in my own research.  If you find out more I'd be curious to know!!

For what it's worth, the fish oil is not bad.  I do capsules and keep them refrigerated and take just before bed so I've had no unpleasant effects from it (aftertaste and such).  Obviously this would not be an issue for a BFing mom, but for pregnant moms I was cautioned against taking flax or evening primrose due to their possible effect on prostaglandins, which could increase contractions in a woman already at risk for them.  Both are recommended for late pregnancy as ways to help bring on labor.
Lynne Norder
Future LC hopeful.....