Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:35:37 -0500
Once the gallbladder is removed there are no subsequent stringent dietary restrictions related to fat intake. The gallbladder is no longer present to become inflamed by the intake of fat ;)

Like all mothers she would be encouraged to eat a well rounded nutritious diet that promotes her optimum wellness following surgery. That would include some fat. If the gallbladder is currently inflamed, fat intake will cause further irritability of the gallbladder which is why they are suggesting fat restriction.

I have worked with mothers who have had gallbladder surgery during pregnancy and following birth. Their response to surgery has been varied. Some of them had recuperations that went smoothly, with slight to moderate discomfort for a few days post-op and managed this with prescription pain meds. Others have had more dramatic discomfort and found the procedure more painful (I fall in the latter category unfortunately, that outpatient gallbladder surgery ended up being a 3 day stay in the hospital, more involved than the physician anticipated).

I have tons of empathy for someone with an irritated gallbladder. The days before I had mine removed I was in the ER 3 times, it was very, very painful, crazy pain like I had never known. I know that isn't the case for many people, thankfully.

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org