From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:26:24 -0400
Pat,

The idea of "30% of the milk being available now and the rest being during
the feed" is old information, no longer correct. Since the 1940's it has
been known (at least by the research community who study this sort of thing)
that milk synthesis is continuous, and that the milk ejection reflex just
squeezes out milk that is already present in the alveoli. Newer research is
even more definitive on the rate of synthesis.  Peter Hartmann (Perth,
Australia) has clearly established that the rate of milk synthesis is
dependent on the relative emptiness or fullness of the breast, NOT on
whether or not the let-down is occurring at that moment. The emptier the
breast, the faster milk is made. The fuller it is, the slower the rate of
synthesis.

I recently reviewed this topic ("milk synthesis") in most of the
widely-available books and texts on breastfeeding. I was disappointed but
not surprised to find that most have either incorrect or inadequate
descriptions of the milk-making process. I'm now working on writing up my
lit review for the Journal.

Check some of my earlier posts on this subject.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre
Dayton, OH USA
http://www.bflrc.com