From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:29:47 PST
Cathy

The Wichita General Hospital Infant feeding preference card (copyright 1992)
seen in the JHL years ago (sorry don't have the ref, just part of the
article in front of me) gives the main benefits as:
advantages of formula fdg: allows others to assume fdg tasks; may be less
inhibiting or embarrassing; can see amt taken by infant; babies usually feed
less often. I

I understand that these cards were used to inform parents and to have their
choices respected and not undermined. However, I have a big problem with the
part that says "bf w/ supplementation - advantages: supplementation allows
the baby to receive nutrients if he is not able to nurse, if the mother
temporarily unable to bf, or if the mother is separated from the baby.
Breastmilk may be manually expressed or pumped for suppl, or formula may be
used." To me, this wuold make a mother choose this option b/c she might be
worried that if she were sick, unable to feed or if baby were unable to bf,
that he wuold be denied food. Therefore, she might choose one of the suppl
options.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, se USA