From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:13:28 -0800
Having attended that excellent presentation at the Australian ILCA Conference, I thought I'd add a few gems I THINK I caught:

  1. Cows are bred for milk-making - so these cows are selectively bred not only to give LOTS of milk, but to have the storage capacity and even the type of udder and teats that are most effectively milked by current equipment.

  2. Cows give more milk than they can often physiologically healthily produce - their feed needs to be altered to add extra calcium and other nutrients as they are making much more milk than is required by a calf.  At times they become very ill due to this drain on their system.

  ...so (this is MY conclusion, not part of the presentation) even though the cells that make milk are probably very similar to humans, the process of milk removal and nutrition is very different and can't easily be extrapolated to human milk production.

  I just went to the ILCA Website, (www.ilca.org) but I didn't find that the syllabus was still for sale...perhaps someone else has additional information - I'm writing from memory, as my material is not where I am right now...

  Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
  California