From:
Mardrey Swenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:49:41 EST
 I want to add that many women start to restrict fluids when they experience
incontinence.

 My husband is an MD and I often read journals that come into the house.  A
few years ago one pointed out that consuming MORE fluid is helpful for
incontinence. So I tried it.  I have stress incontinence.  I also take 1000 IU of
vitamin E (for warding off Alzheimer's) and I've noticed that when I stopped it
(when I forget to take it LOL) I get more leakage.

I guess I take in more fluids in the summer because I have reduced the
incontinence to virtually none during the summer months. I do try to drink at least
60 to 80 ounces of water or tea flavored water in the summer.

I've had three unmedicated vaginal births - the first was in a hospital on my
back, but with the nurse and my husband holding my thighs way back. The next
two at home on my knees with my upper body resting on a stool with a pillow
for both my frank breech daughter's birth and her little brother's head down one
six years later.  I did push harder with the first and was encouraged to
continue to push with the breech to get her out quickly.  I never pushed for more
than 20 minutes for any of them even when i waited for the contractions of my
uterus to do the work.

Mardrey Swenson  IBCLC