From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:21:05 +0900
>The Canadian media are silent on the issue of breastfeeding, as is the
>government.  This week there was a conference in Toronto about child
>poverty.  Now you'd think that breastfeeding might be mentioned, as it
>could save the government and/or poor families a lot of money, but,
>guess again.
>
>Is this a conspiracy of silence, or am I paranoid again.  I think
>everyone is just afraid of the formula companies.
>
>Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

Jack,
I think it is just that *we* see the relevance and impact of breastfeeding
to so many other topics, but that others just don't think of it, because
the culture in most Western countries doesn't put any (or puts little)
importance on how babies are fed. I 'get into trouble' all the time for
bringing up the topic of breastfeeding when other issues are being
discussed in the media, etc, eg how to solve the problem of juvenile crime
- it's not to set up special camps, or increase penalties (when did
negative reinforcement ever work best?) but to solve the problem at the
root, through better parenting including breastfeeding, raising kids that
are loved and cared about, etc. That's what the government should be
supporting IMO - strategies to help parents of babies/young children do it
better. Off the soapbox now.

So I guess the answer to your question is 'yes, you're paranoid' like me
and probably nearly everyone else on Lactnet!! ;-) Isn't it great to be
able to 'talk' with so many like-minded people?! Helps balance the
frustration of working alongside the rest of the world.

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia