Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:16:22 -0500
THis is an area of research badly needed. Infants of diabetic mothers are at
increased risk of supplementation with cow's milk formulas.  Cow's milk
formulas have been linked to diabetes.  When moms express prenatally
their own milk can be used minimizing the exposure to a possible diabete's trigger.

While I believe that the risk of this nipple stimulation causing early labor
is low or non-existent, this is the first study I know of that looks at this risk.
These sort of studies can lead to better care for our mothers.

The belief that breastfeeding makes controlling blood sugars worse
is wrong.  It actually improves control via the effect of prolactin.

I agree with the previous poster; colostrum is actually better at
controlling blood sugar.  THe lactose in colostrum raises sugar levels
quickly and the protein keeps them up later on. People who suffer from hypoglycemia
are commonly instructed to combine a "Sugar" like fruit with a protein like peanut butter
for this reason.

Diabetic educators go through a rigorous process to become certified.
I know this because at one point in my life I considered specializing in
it.  I am concerned by the misinformation.  If she is certified this indicates
that her training is flawed and I wonder how many more are being taught
that breastfeeding makes controlling sugars more difficult.  Not understanding
that combining proteins and carbohydrates is also concerning.

PS.  I used a pump to express colostrum prenatally with my
last child as I was a gestational diabetic.  I didn't go into labor
until I was 41 weeks.

Christine Betzold NP CLC MSN