From:
Judy Canahuati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:36:52 -0600
Dear friends of Honduras and friends of breastfeeding:

This morning Carol Lopez, who is the local director of LLL/H and I spoke
about the situation of the breastfeeding counselors all over the country.

Many of our 1400+ counselors live in areas that were flooded and are among
the more than 250,000 people who were forced out of their homes by "Mitch"

We estimate that at least 1,000 of them are without homes or clothing or
furnishings. Now that the acute part of the crisis has passed, it is
important to help these people with clothing, staples that are not
perishable (rice, beans, etc., anything but powdered milk!), medicines, etc.

These woman are leaders in their communities and need our support to help
them help their community members.

Several of you have written to me offering to help.  Help for Honduras can
be channeled through the Red Cross, and specified for Honduras.  When the
information comes out about where to send donations, I'll let you know.

For the counselors of LLL, help would have to be centralized in one or two
places and then sent to a forwarding point to be sent by boat or plane to
Honduras in the name of La Liga de la Lactancia Materna, San Pedro Sula,
Col. Satelite, IV Etapa, Telephone: 504-559-8035; 504-559-8036. Their email
is <[log in to unmask]>.

Rebecca, if LLLI could serve as a collection point and could let US groups
know, it would be wonderful.  Carmen, if European groups could help, it
would be great.

For friends in Lactnet, please respond privately, as I am nomail right now.
 Since I have been working with relief efforts, I can't handle so many
email messages.

Please let me know if anyone is willing to coordinate this and also who can
help us to acquire cheap or donated transport to Honduras.

Thank you in advance and best wishes.

Judy, Carol and Chepita
"La Lactancia Materna: Educación para la Vida " Semana Mundial de Lactancia
Materna, 1999

Judy Canahuati, MPhil, IBCLC
PO Box #512
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Telephone: +504-550-9737
Fax:       +504-550-7482
E-mail:    [log in to unmask]

"The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them
changes both the maker and the destination."  John Schaar