From:
Carolyn Westcott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:43:00 +0000
Hi all,
I am stuck, and need help.
I was visited by a Mum with a 5 week old baby. She had a normal delivery
of a full-term healthy girl. Her nipples have gradually become so sore
that she had pumped one side for 2 days when I saw her. She got ready to
put the baby on the other side so that I could see what was happening
and I was appalled by the state of the *good* nipple. The skin below the
nipple has completely gone leaving a large raw area. She held the baby
perfectly, the baby opened her mouth wide, went on to the breast with
the nipple along the roof of the mouth, had a large amount of breast in
her mouth. It was classic good positioning.
The sucking rythm was good, plenty of swallowing. Weight gain normal,
contented between feeds.
No tongue-tie. Mum sometimes feels a burning in the nipple although she
does not always feel it, it does not last and is not really typical of
yeast. She is treating for yeast just in case. No history of yeast in
Mun or baby, no antibiotics.
I heard from her today and the situation has not improved in the week
since she visited.
If this is not poor positioning, tongue-tie or yeast, what is it? What
am I missing? The Mum is at the end of her tether and will have to stop
soon. She came a very long way to see me and I do not want to fail her!
Carolyn Westcott RN IBCLC