Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:30:00 -0800
A few home remedies that I've seen work well:
-Reduced sugar intake plus increased probiotic intake (plain yogurt or
probiotic supplements)
-Boric acid suppositories are great, but can be difficult to find.
You can purchase supplies for making them online or Yeast Arrest makes
a suppository that includes Borax plus herbs that can usually be found
at health food stores.  They can be used during an infection or some
people will do a month of suppositories to try and "reset" their
systems.  I generally recommend women use them at night because boric
acid tends to leak.
-Using a slightly acidic soap.  This one is relatively easy to find at
health food stores:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-Natural-Beauty-Cleansing/dp/B00014EKJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298229577&sr=8-1
-A 50/50 water/hydrogen peroxide (or white vinegar) douche can be very
helpful and pretty immediately soothing if the mom has an active yeast
infection.
-If the woman is having chronic yeast infections, her husband might
want to treat himself too (even if he is asymptomatic).

I've also heard good things about taking grapefruit seed extract
orally, but don't know enough about it to speak to how to take it.

Katie Towers, IBCLC, student midwife