From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:12:24 +0100
Hi All,
>Of course, I am glad the wonderful flexibility and adaptbilty of mothers
>milk continues to be underlined, but I am sick and tired of mothers being
>made anxious by half-information about it.
>
>'My health visitor says he needs to be on longer or he won't get the
>hindmilk' they say, made worried because their HV has suggested that even
>though the baby is thriving, his 'short'  frequent feeds are not enough.

I have come across this too. On several occasions, I have come across
mothers who tell me the health visitor has told them not to nurse too
frequently because they they'll get foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. They
misinterprate this to mean that they should restrict nursing and
effectively try and schedule feeds.

Two years ago, a couple of mothers quoted a very well known British LC
at me, who I am absolutely certain would not have suggested such a
thing! (just to indicate that the error might be in the mother's
understanding of the information, rather than the HV, midwife's or LC's
information).

I definitely believe if "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :-)

PS One of my babies would feed for 3 minutes every 3-4 hours as a
newborn, and put on 10oz a week for the first 8 weeks :-)
--
Anna H. (Mummy to Emma, 17-1-95, Alice, 11-9-96, Samuel, 25-4-98)