Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 07:04:00 +0200
Have you noticed that the moms who least want to breastfeed, but due to
circumstances are forced to, are the ones who have the least problems.
Back to work on thursday after sick leave to find that many babies had
been given bottles due to "perceived lack of milk by night nurse"
syndrome.  Terrible latch problems with tongue thrust or refusal to
latch even after one bottle.  Low milk supply due to lack of
stimulation.

In waltzes a mom who tells me that "they" say that she has to
breastfeed.  She is day 3 pp, and never intended to breastfeed, however
her baby regurgitated every artificial milk he drank and has lost  too
much weight.  After struggling with all the other bottled babies, I have
my doubts and prepare the mom that her baby may not latch right away (
if at all).  We put him in clutch position, squeeze a little milk out of
her breast ( which spurts milk across the room even though she has not
breastfed even once in the last 3 days ( Peter Hartmann please explain
that) and  within 5 seconds he is latched and happily gulping with VERY
audible swallows.
Survival instinct?
Why would this mom have no problems, and so many others who have dreamt
about breastfeeding all their lives have terrible latch problems and
supply problems after just one bottle?
Are the other moms too over-motivated therefore projecting this to
baby?  Help me on this one!!  So much for all my theories!!  Help, wise
ones!!  Jean, BWC, Pat.....anyone?

Esther Grunis, IBCLC, ever intrigued by the never-ending challenges in
this profession.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

I love the metaphor/analogy thread!!  Keep going!!  My friend Jane who
is the founder of breastfeeding in Israel, but new on Lactnet and still
lurking has printed them out and  created a collection!
I have one that I use with docs to describe why such a natural process
as breastfeeding goes wrong and requires a whole profession to fix
it....imposing breastfeeding hours is as ridiculous as imposing hours
for other natural functions such as peeing.  Imagine if HCP's suggested
that humans pee every 5.5 hours for only 7 seconds each time.  what
would happen to our urinary system?  there would arise local support
groups  to handle the masses of people seeking help and eventually a new
profession called Certified Urination Consultants would be born.