From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:11:42 -0500
Anne Andrianos's question about how many breastmilk feeds it takes per day
to have an impact on a baby's health sent me thru my files for a talk I'm
sure I heard.  Can't find the notes.  This is what I *remember* hearing:

Someone looked at rates of various illnesses for formula-fed, cow milk-fed,
mixed feed (formula and breastmilk), and exclusively breastfed babies.
Exclusive bfing, of course, provided by far the best protection.  But
mixed-feed babies were well ahead of those who had no human milk - The
graph looked like a high plateau for the breastfed babies, then a cliff
between breastfed and mixed-feed, followed by a slope down as the amount of
human milk decreased, followed by another cliff between *some* breastmilk
and *no* breastmilk.

I also remember the plain cow milk-fed babies having lower rates of certain
illnesses than formula-fed babies.  Interesting!

Was it perhaps Allan Cunningham who gave a talk like this?  Anyone
remember?  *And where did I file my notes???*

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY