From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 00:00:12 -0500
Diane:  I agree that it's good to remember "never say never".  I hope
nobody is telling mothers that their baby will never die of SIDS or get
diabetes.  We talk in terms of reduced risk, not absolute elimination of
risk.  The only thing we know for sure is that the mother who lays her
baby on its side or back, breastfeeds her baby and keeps a smoke-free
home has done all that is known to be in her power to prevent the
disease.  Diseases like SIDS and diabetes are multifactorial, probably
with numerous risk factors, only a few of which we know about.  I make it
a point in my talks to parents that not all artificially fed babies get
sick, and not all breastfed babies are healthy.  It's just a matter of
stacking the odds.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]