From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:41:56 -0400
I'll give you some ideas for an "Ideal" breastfeeding conference or seminar
for physicians.

1. It should be some place easy to get to. [that goes for parking, too]

2. Food is always appreciated.

3. Monday is not a good day to schedule anything - it's the busiest day of
the week.

4. It's nice to have it "tied in" to something the docs have to attend
anyway [grand rounds or department meeting]

5. Avoid dinner meetings/seminars - our spouses and families see us
infrequently enough already.

6. Have at least some doctors as speakers [doctors like listening to other
doctors]

7. Have topics that sound "useful" [we already know "breast is best" so
that's not a good topic but how about "tricks for managing jaundice in the
breastfed baby"]

8. Give CME credit.

9. Market the seminar as a morning and afternoon session - some docs can't
afford to take off a whole day, but may be able to do one or the other. Help
them see this as an option.

10. Start early and end early - if a doc does take a day off to attend and
he can get home early as well, it's more of an incentive to go.

11. As to the issue of charging for it - that's a good idea in that we value
things more if we have to pay for them - I would pick a small fee, because
while some docs have CME allowances, a lot of others don't and you want it
to seem like a bargain.  For example $20 for either morning or afternoon
session, and $30 for all day with mention made that text books [and lunch]
will be given to all participants. That way someone doesn't feel that they
are wasting money if they can only come to one session, and both sessions
together seem like a great deal. [This can also cover the cost of your
textbooks]

12. Have clear handouts - not just general outlines - for each talk.

13. Have a question and answer time  built in at the end - in the program -
doctors like to be able to "pick the brains" of the speaker on an informal
basis.

14. Advertise well - at least 6 weeks in advance.

Gail S. Hertz MD, IBCLC