From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:39:11 +0900
>Earlier this week I received a sample of a new hydrous lanolin that the mfr
>is touting for (among other things) a breastfeeding aid. Is there any virtue
>to a hydrous prep which would make it superior to the ointment we all know?
>
>The new stuff is 75% USP grade lanolin, 25% water. While the water content
>would probably be beneficial to some skin conditions, I don't know if it will
>help in the healing of injured nipples and would appreciate any feedback or
>previous experience with the stuff anyone might have.

Sounds like the old, not-very-purified-type lanolin plus water. Water would
most likely make the nipples soggy - that's one of the reasons most of us
have stopped recommending 'creams', because they contain water. Altogether
it doesn't sound so good to me. But then I haven't tried it.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]