Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:51:17 -0800
Jeanette asks a great question on audiological exams and I want to share
what I did which worked beautifully. When it came time for my twins to have
the audiological screening (it's really a screening and not a full
evaluation) we refused to allow them to leave my room. What I said was "I
have no objection to the audiological screening however they will NOT leave
my room to have it done. If you can arrange to have it done here fine if not
that's fine with us as well".  The audiologist came to the room and told us
several times that he much preferred to do the tests in the rooms because it
was much quieter. He stated that otherwise he's trying to test in the
nursery where babies were screaming and it was difficult to get good
results. We of course expressed our appreciation several times for him going
out of his way and he responded each time explaining he'd much prefer to do
the tests in the rooms. Despite the fact that there were those ubiquitous
green hospital pacifiers available they weren't needed. Both babies had
their tummies full of breast milk.

Susan Small RN BSN
Northern California