From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:46:35 -0600
On 10/4/03 2:35 PM, "Hal and Melanie Young" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I nearly sent this privately to Lyla, but realized others of us may be
> interviewed by the media and could benefit from this.
>
> My husband and I serve on the board of directors of our state homeschool
> organization and speak to the media pretty frequently.  The best advice I've
> received was from Home School Legal Defense Association.  They recommended
> that you develop the message you want to get across beforehand- choose about
> 3 key points you want to make.  Think them through, even write them down,
> and get them into a well-spoken "sound bite".  When you are interviewed, use
> the questions the interviewer asks as hooks to hang *your* messages on.

Excellent advice, Melanie.

These tips are valuable for any media interview - print or television as
well as radio. You should prioritize your three messages also - decide what
is the most important and make sure you state that clearly.  If you have
worked through your three key messages and are still being interviewed,
don't be afraid to restate key messages. That is better than going off on a
tangent or introducing another thought. If you are talking directly to your
audience (on radio, for example) your main messages will stick better with
your audience if they are restated. If you are talking only to the reporter,
it still helps the info to sink in.

- Jodine Chase