Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:59:04 -0500
Actually, there has been a challenge to the claims of formula manufacturers. NABA and the Cornucopia Institute petitioned the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regarding the false and misleading advertising of DHA in infant formula. You can see the whole report and petition in a publication called "Replacing mother- imitating human breast milk in the laboratory" at http://www.cornucopia.org/2008/01/replacing-mother-infant-formula-report/. Formula companies continuously challenge each others claims which are arbitrated through the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau. I have mentioned numerous times on Lactnet that we can all challenge these false and misleading claims by reporting them to the FTC at www.ftc.gov. A couple of thousand complaints might help light a fire under the FTC (or at least kindle some embers). When the Food and Nutrition Service called for public comments on the new WIC food packages, one of my recommendations was to put a generic label on all WIC formula to prevent it from being re-sold and to reduce the marketing potential of the high price brands.

Many parents that I work with have no idea that infant formula is made from cow's milk or that the DHA in formula comes from fermented micro algae. There is a pile of data showing that all of these formula additives still cannot match the ability of human milk to grow a brain and program an immune system. Helping mothers and health providers understand that infant formula is not equivalent to breastmilk is difficult. It's not that we cannot use infant formula when needed, it's how the stuff is marketed (sound familiar) that has been affecting breastfeeding. One survey of the general public showed that between 1999 and 2003 the number of people agreeing with the statement that infant formula was equivalent to breastmilk rose by 10%. This is the time frame when DHA was introduced into infant formula. Advertising works.

Consider writing to the FTC as a holiday present to all of the babies and mothers we serve and for those who need us but can't reach us. The gift of reduced commercial pressure on mothers to replace their milk with infant formula will make for a happier new year for millions of people.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Karleen said:
e're lucky here in Aust- our government provides guidelines for health
orkers on infant feeding and this includes advice on the use of formula
hich says in essence that there's no difference between formulas, none is
etter or worse than the other- buy the cheapest- easy!
In my opinion, this is a tactic that is long overdue in the US - accepting the
ormula manufacturer's false claims without a challenge has led to
isinformation being given to the entire population - both health care providers
who tell moms to give their babies the "best" formula) and everyone else!
Just as "unsafe at any speed" released a whole slew of requirements for auto
afety and correct information about it, we need to have those (including the US
overnment, who, through WIC is the largest purchaser of the stuff) who are
onsumers be informed about what is actually included and NOT included in
ormula.
I have also been wondering lately about the "brand loyalty" that has led to such
ayor upheavals when WIC purchases a different brand - WHY should babies have
he same formula day after day, week after week, month after month - our
reastmilk changes all the time????
What if we just had a "government issue" formula with a generic label that would
OT MARKET the formula they were purchasing?   Just like the Government issue
heese and milk we used to get in Puerto Rico (and the PEANUT BUTTER that our
ulture would NEVER consume...)?
Of course I would like to think that all moms would eventually breastfeed - but
f we can't get to that point this decade, can we get to the point where the
overnment is not MARKETING formula?
Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
alifornia, USA