From:
Cynthia Rux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:55:00 -0600
Dear Lactneters,

I would like to post a question by a fellow IBCLC. She is not on Lactnet
at present so is asking me to post this for her. Please feel free to
contact me privately or to the group. TIA

The question is for Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream.  The
pharmacist that
called me said they are unable to get 10% Clotrimazole.  Our pharmacy
said the
same thing.  All they have it in is 1 or 2 %.  I don't know if that is
because
Canada has different meds than we have available or what.    What our
pharmacist
suggested was using the other 3 ointments in the combination and
applying the 2%
Clotrimazole separately so that it won't be diluted as it would be once
mixed
with the others.
The other question is the use of over the counter ointments in the event
physician won't order it or the pharmacist won't mix it.  ( I have had
both
problems.)   Would using a Triple Antibiotic ointment, an antifungal
vaginal
cream and Hydrocortisone ointment (I think over the counter is a 1%)
provide
some of the same advantages and help with the healing?  The ingredient
missing
would be the Nystatin, but if the infant had the drops, the mom could
add that
as well.

Cindy Rux, RN, IBCLC
Milwaukee, WI