From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 17:38:40 -0500
No, Tracey, They do show normal women as midwives. Unfortunately I have
never seen an epsode in which a home birth actually takes place. The
three stories I have seen all involve "want-to-be" homebirths who end up
rushing to hospital for c-section. I watch it occaisionally, until the
"Where's my epidural!" grates on my nreves. However, I am grateful that
through watching this show my mother has come to the realization that
even "homebirth" moms who experience difficulties can go to hospital.
IMHO, if the problem is so emergent that Mom can not get to help, it
probably wouldn't have done any good to be at hospital in the first
place. (How many of you had to call your Dr in from his Golf game to
catch the baby, and had nurses forceably holding baby in until he
arrived?)
I would really like it if one in four of the births they show were
succesful home births.
But, we digress, I have NEVER seen any of these mothers BREASTFEED!,
even the ones who attempted homebirth. I find this very
odd...considering they are showing births, are breasts so very
controversial?
Personally I would BF for a camera crew anyday, but I would NEVER have
one at my delivery. :)

Laura Wright

Eschew Obfuscation!

"A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of
its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her
presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three." ~ Dr. Grantly Dick-Read