Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:26:37 +0000

Jan said:

>I'm very leary of using tap water for mixing formula -- did she bring it to
>rolling boil for ONE minute as the AAP suggests, or did she forget and let
it
>boil longer?

Interesting....I don't think it's normal for mothers *not* to boil
water for formula here...at least, the only time I have ever heard of
it is in shocked tones...'and you'll never guess what I caught my
husband doing...making up the feed with water from the tap!' sort of
thing. They are not told about rolling boils, and just use water that
has been boiled in the kettle.

I use this as a way of showing the convenience of breastfeeding,
because in an electricity cut, you wouldn't be able to boil the
kettle. I would think boiling the water to a roll for one minute
would be even more of a hassle.

Ready-to-feed is available here, but it has not caught on - too expensive.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK