Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2017 10:47:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hi All, I finally had time to read the Time article. It's not perfect, but I can honestly say I liked it. With the exception of the comments re: the dangers of rooming in, I recognized the reality of all of it. Pregnant women have goals and when they're not met, for whatever reason, they grieve it, feel less than perfect. Unfortunately mother's often are not acknowledged for what they are able to do vs what  we might like to see them do which adds to their feelings of failure, inadequacy. The author of the article mentions mothers "trying to please zealous lactation consultants" - I don't consider that a compliment but it does happen. Have you ever been told thank you for being "real"? 
I have never understand why a mother would not breastfeed or breast milk feed. But, it is not my choice, it is the mother's choice and it was my job as the LC to help the mother make an informed decision (see the reply from Trish MacEnroe, the executive director of the BFHI’s U.S. arm, re: the possible consequences of not breastfeeding) and then support the mother by finding out what her goals are and how she can meet and/or exceed them. It's not all about the food.
I lost a friendship to my zeal of encouraging breastfeeding before I had the knowledge I gained when I became an IBCLC in 1987.  I was able to support a mother long distance who has insufficient glandular tissue that was not recognized with her first child. She recently wrote to tell me she just weaned baby #3 at 7 months and thanked me for my support. She succeeded because she wanted to and sought help. She SNS'd her 2nd and 3rd, pumped to get out what she could which was about one ounce at a time.  She is very proud of what she accomplished but she has a painful memory of being judged because she was giving her baby a bottle. 
As LC's we put our heart and soul into supporting mother's but ultimately it's not about us which is my take away from the article.
Christine, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Menomonee Falls, WI

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2