Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:40:43 EDT
The article on formula-feeding and obesity can be found in the journal
Circulation at the following site and freely downloaded:

_http://www.circulationaha.org_ (http://www.circulationaha.org)

It is a study done only on formula-fed infants and is especially  fascinating
when you look at who funded the study:

NIH
Infant Formula Council (now the International Formula Council)

The study was done in part at the Fomon Infant Nutrition Unit at the
University of Iowa which receives research grants from and conducts clinical  trials
for Ross Products, Mead Johnson, and Nestle. Two of the authors receive  money
from the same companies.

While we can certainly use this data to our advantage, I smell a rat. This
may be some preliminary work on changing the composition of infant formula to
reduce its protein levels in an effort to prevent overweight and diabetes.
There  have been a number of other publications calling for a look at the
enormous  amount of protein contained in formulas. Any new formulas based on this
type of research would be able to claim that the product reduced the  changes of
overweight in adulthood.

Stay tuned.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA