Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:02:42 EST
Laurie says,

<<here is hurricane territory we are advised if the electricity goes off for a
time, but if the frozen foods still have ice crystals in them, you can
refreeze. not sure the exact technicalities of this, but i bet there is a
food safety website or hurricane safety issues type site that could give you
the info. don't see why breastmilk would be much different from another food
regarding refreezing it.>>

I've been wondering why (in general) it is recommended that once you defrost
a food, you shouldn't refreeze it.  It occurred to me that when I go to the
grocery store, I might buy some fish that states on it "previously frozen".  I
then have no qualms whatsoever about taking it home & throwing it in my freezer
to be used at a later date.  Why then, if I defrost something at home, do I
feel queasy about refreezing it?  And has anyone ever done a RESEARCH project
on frozen/defrosted/refrozen human milk so as to KNOW what the results are?
What if it isn't even just slushy?  What if it is completely defrosted?  Before
we rear back in horror, it seems to me that we do things because we have
always "done it like that" but not because there is evidence to back up our
practice.

As usual, seems to me the sniff test oughta be part of our practice in
determining what is and what isn't good to eat.

Jan