From:
Mary Ostyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:34:05 EDT
Just had to share a viewpoint here.   I am the daughter of a LLL leader who
nursed 8 babies between 1967 and 1981 when it was not fashionable-- smile!  I
myself have 10 years experience supporting new mothers as an RN in a birthing
center.   I have spent 10 out of the last 15 years breastfeeding 5 children,
one of whom came to use from Korea at age 4 months (others are bio).  I am
currently pumping 7-8 times a day to induce lactation for a newborn coming to us
sometime soon (hopefully), and am pumping 15 oz a day.  All this to say that I
am a mother extremely dedicated to breastfeeding.

Our expected baby will likely be between 3 and 14 days of age when she comes
into our arms, before which time she will most likely be getting formula.
Those are the simple facts --- ones I cannot change, and I accept that and know
that by inducing lactation for my child, I am doing the best I can for her.
However it STILL has been extremely saddening and even guilt-inducing for me to
read how harmful just one bottle can be for a baby.

In one way I agree that moms should know the risks so they can make better
decisions for their babies.  On the other hand I have tremendous sympathy for
moms who are guilt-ridden because their babies, for whatever reason, had formula
at some point.  It is so important for us to support them so that they can
continue to feel motivated to get the support they need to become the best
breastfeeding couple that they can, given their situation...

Mary in Idaho RN and
mom to Amanda (15), Erika (13), Jared (11), Daniel(8), Joshua-Korea (5),
Ben-Korea (5)  and our little Emmalee (somewhere in the US!)
<A HREF="www.geocities.com/owlhaven.geo/index.html">Mary's page</A>