From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:07:43 -0500
According to Mark Cregan (I saw him at a wonderful conference) live
cells do become inactivated during the freezing process.  He spoke about
the importance of preserving live cells - that they survive about 7 days
in fresh breastmilk.  The challenge is keeping the milk alive without
too high bacterial growth.  Breast milk is full of bacteria (hey,
pro-biotics!).  And they grow in breast milk. So the challenge is to
preserve the active cells, hold onto the breast milk until able to be
used while at the same time not promoting growth of bad bacteria.  The
source of bad bacteria is from outside the mom - handling, tubing that
gets touched, etc.  So - good hand-washing, careful cleaning of pump
equipment and keeping it away from sources of bad bacteria (dirt from
vegetables, bathroom bugs, etc.) is important.  This is especially
important for fragile babies who need those stem cells and their only
source is pumped milk - no ability to get straight from the tap.  For
moms who are nursing most of the time and giving occasional pumped milk
while at work, that's not as big an issue. We're speaking about babies
who CAN'T nurse at all and their only source is stored milk.