From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:36:29 -0800
As an add on to what Nikki posted about these watered down ads.  If we push to let everyone know the risks of formula (not just moms) then maybe everyone would think about what they personally could do to help a mom continue breastfeeding.  Things like not complaining about someone nursing in public, not wanting moms to hide some where to nurse, wondering why your boss can't find a place for your co-worker to pump milk for her new baby, isn't there a different medication a mom could use so she doesn't have to wean I mean the list can go on forever.  If the whole country understood how important it is to breastfeed that would help moms out.  Right now with ad campaigns about smoking, second hand smoke, seat belts and car seats people don't question not smoking around kids or pregnant moms and wonder why that kid isn't strapped into the car.  I think we missed a big opportunity to change a whole country's attitudes.  JMHO.

Felicia Henry, IBCLC, BCCE
Oxnard, CA  recovering from my daughter's sweet 16 party