From:
James Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 21:57:33 -0600
While we haven't published it, we had some encouraging results from
a study we did recently.  We deliver between 2000 and 2500 babies
yearly with a breastfeeding initiation rate just under 80%.  The LCs
(2 of us cover 48 hours a week) try to see every mom before
discharge to review how its going and to do some anticipatory
teaching.  The other LC's daughter needed to de a research project
for a college class so she did a survey of our patients.  The
control group (moms we did not see in the hospital-mostly those that
delivered on Saturday and went home on Sunday) turned out to be
small and were surveyed by phone instead of a mail-in survey, so the
results leave something to be desired in terms of research
criteria.  Nevertheless, we learned that at 3 months of those moms
we saw as inpatients-85% still nursing!  Of those we did not see as
inpatients, 50% still nursing at 3 months.  Needless to say we were
very pleased and have used this info as we try to expand our
services.

On the subject of microwaving-I didn't see a response, so I'll
mention that my understanding is that milk (breastmilk or ABM)
should NEVER be microwaved.  Not only is there danger of "hot
spots", but apparently there is some evidence microwaving may alter
some of the nutrients.

I worked with a mom with Marfan's (severe enough that she had all
the arrangements made for her baby's care if she didn't survive
delivery).  Baby was a slow grower, but I think that was him, not
mom's Marfan's.  The last I saw him, he was 5 years old, appeared to
also have Marfan's based on physical characteristics, and was smart
as a whip!  I think the biggest concern is how mom's body will
tolerate pregnancy and delivery rather than any effects on
breastfeeding.

Winnie Mading, IBCLC - Waukesha Wisconsin