Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:42:55 -0500
The US Department of Health and Human Services has been working on a series of disease prevention and health promotion objectives called Healthy People 2010.

Increasing rates of breastfeeding initiation and duration are amongst the goals of the initiative.

I am working on developing a Logic Model for a program I am designing that is specifically focused on increasing the rate of breastfeeding initiation and duration amongst low income, minority women in the US, delivering in our hospital system, to that of the breastfeeding goals as described in Healthy People 2010.

I am wondering if anyone can help me identify the precise definition of breastfeeding that the Healthy People 2010 initiative is utilizing.

When the initiative refers to 'breastfeeding initiation', does that mean put the baby to the breast one time, exclusively breastfeed the baby the first 24 hours, primarily fed the baby at the breast with occasional supplement for 3 days???? For duration, is it duration of exclusive breastfeeding, primarily breastfeeding with occasional supplement, ever breastfed at those time landmarks???

Can any of you assist me in identifying the definition of 'breastfeeding' as it is utilized for the Healthy People 2010 initiative?

Thanks so much,

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org