From:
Molly Shakar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:04:34 -0500
Dear All,
 I haven't posted in a long time but love this forum and learn so much from all of you.
I have had such a terrible week and just need to vent. I am frustrated beyond belief and just need to be heard.
At the hospital I contract with all newborns are seen by neonatologist. They contract with a group that rotate thru. Now I love neonatologist and hold them in high esteem.especially you Dr. Wight. but these docs seem to be having a hard time with normal newborns. They are checking all blood sugars on admission if less than 40 are ordering 30 cc's of formula. A baby this week with a bili of 9.2 at 40 hours was placed under phototherapy with formula supplements after breastfeeding. When bili came back next day of 9.6 infant could not go home without bili blanket and formula supplements. Not coombs positive and not a premie. another baby placed under phototherapy with same order to supplement but more detailed order. "Breastfeed every 3 hours with at least 30 cc's of formula after. if infant wants more give as much as will take" so of course taking about 2 oz.  Next day bili came down, mom pumping 2 oz with manual pump. " I could have pumped more that was just for relief". D/C order"breastfeed ad lib and continue formula supplements"
Every single one of my breastfeeding moms had an order to supplement this week. My colleague got in trouble with this doctor for questioning her order.
So needless to say I am discouraged. I have been doing this for 25 plus years and not sure if I have been this
discouraged.
They view these babies as needing all this intervention and don't give them a chance.
With all the recommendations for breastfeeding why is this so hard. It is hard enough to help moms overcome their self doubt and cheer them on. but how do you overcome docs constantly undermining  the moms decision to breastfeed. This is not a bash for all doctors, so please don't see this as that.
Don't even get me started on the baby photographers. I have to constantly run into them This week I actually had one give a baby a bottle so baby could calm down and get a good picture. Granted the baby had been getting bottles because had been ordered,but was there to help and the photographer gave a bottle. What the heck!!! I am a lost about how to explain what is going on.
Any words of advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks again for listening.
Molly Shakar RN IBCLC