From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:56:23 +0000
Finally, the post I can springboard on to say what I wanted to add to
this thread.

Whilst not undermining in anyway the excellent posts made about the
dairy industry etc (who, after all, brought us formula), I do think some
sense of our own past is important here.  There where many communities
that only survived deprivation in their hostile geographies, by
consuming milk and milk products.  There are still many communities in
the world today, barely surviving thanks to goats and sheep milk.  Every
Winter Excess Ritual, one of my son's presents, is a goat.

We don't keep the goat, obviously - we buy one for Africa, or wherever
Oxfam thinks best to send it.  One goat can lift a family out of
starvation and several goats can find the resources to send a child to
school.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?catalog=Unwrapped&product=OU2653

When I visited the Highlands of Scotland for the first time last year,
and found myself in the Highland Folk Museum
http://highlandfolk.museum/newtonmore-township.php, and saw for myself
the stone age living conditions that the people of the Highlands endured
up to the 18th Century, I was shocked to my core.   For it wasn't at all
romantic, and was very very harsh, and a level of poverty and
deprivation that I'd fondly thought was not part of UK life for a lot
longer back than this (there was a reason so many Highlanders left for
the New World, and stone age living conditions in was one part of it.)
It was also utterly dependent on milk - sheep and goats: milk was life
for whole townships.  Goats and sheep can take inedible scrub, and turn
it into life saving milk.  If all you have is inedible scrub most of the
year, this is A Good Thing.

Comparing all milks to what is being produced by the dairy industry, and
condemning them all equally as part of the human diet, is to do a
disservice to the humble goat and sheep, who are still keeping many
adult humans alive.  There is a reason why many of us are completely
tolerant of milk in adulthood - we've adapted to survive on what was
available through the generations of our ancestors who were dependent
upon it as a staple of their diet.  If we'd stayed gatherer/hunters in
the warm forests of our genesis, we'd be healthier - but there ain't
that many warm forests around and a lot more of us than can be supported
by gathering/hunting!  We're biologically evolving slower than we need
to, for our intellectual evolution rate, sure, but it is an ongoing
process.  :-)  And I like medicine and cars and stuff.  I have a lot of
'stuff 'that ain't compatible for gathering/hunting.  We're humans - we
ALWAYS want more!

When discussing beef, we do differentiate between prime, well hung steak
and hamburger from fast food junk sources.  Milk requires the same
distinction, and not to be condemned outright for all the evils of the
food tree.  :-)

Just my never humble opinion... and my awareness that my family was milk
dependent for survival in quite recent history.

Morgan Gallagher