From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:21:22 -0400
Pat Gima wrote,
>It is my opinion that most infective mastitis is caused by poor feeding

>practices resulting in damaged nipple tissue.

Following my last post, about things happening despite good education,
management, committment, etc., isn't mastitis caused by a) infections
(albeit that can enter through damaged tissue) that may be higher in,
say, large families with school-exposed children, fathers working in
environments where more infections circulate, etc., b) irregular feeding
/ sleeping patterns (baby suddenly sleeping through the night or
reverse-cycling and not BF much during the day or otherwise biologically
adapting to a mother's shifts or changing life style) c) baby's
discomfort, teething, alertness, etc. causing him to "lose" an otherwise
good latch d) growth spurts and their subsequent normalization,
especially in multiples, etc.? How are these "poor" feeding habits? I
have had a whole lot of calls about this in the last little while, and
what the mothers all have in common is that they are nursing happy,
healthy older toddlers -- what I consider "good" or "rich" feeding
practices, whichever antonym you prefer.
Jo-Anne, who is trying to pat herself on the back to avoid hurting her
more tender front. Hey guys, everyone else might get thrush from steroid
inhalers, guess what I get?